Comprehensive and Preventive Care
At AWVH we understand that your horse is your partner. That’s why we are here to help you optimize their health throughout their entire life. This includes routine preventive care and those unexpected bumps in the road.
- Wellness examinations
- Pre-purchase examinations
- Sports Medicine
- Endoscopy (upper airway, bladder, stomach)
- Freeze branding
- Sheath cleaning
Advanced and Routine Surgical Services
Many of the procedures listed below are performed by staff veterinarians in our large animal surgery suite. Several of the more advanced procedures are performed by a world class board certified surgeon that visits the hospital on a regular basis.
- Colic surgery and post-operative care
- Hernia repair (umbilical, inguinal)
- Periosteal strip and transphyseal bridge for angular limb deformity
- Wound management
- Castration (in the field or in the hospital)
- Laser surgery
At AWVH we believe that dental health in the horse is a very important component of preventive care. Annual oral examinations can identify and prevent problems that may be troublesome for your horse later in life. Good oral care starting at a young age has been proven to extend the wear of your horses’ teeth, which in turn may extend his life.
- Comprehensive oral examination for all life stages
- Dental equilibration with hand or electric float
- Dental radiography
- Dental extractions
- Sinus surgery
AWVH is here to assist you in all the reproductive needs of your mare or stallion. From conception, to parturition to making sure your foal starts out life on the right hoof, we are here to answer your questions and provide you with the following services.
- Embryo transfer
- Ultrasound examination
- Breeding soundness examination
- Uterine lavage
- Artificial insemination
- Fresh, cooled and frozen semen collection and utilization
- Stallion collection, semen processing and shipment
- Laparoscopic ovariectomy
- Neonatal care
- Foaling assistance
- Post-foaling examination
All West Veterinary Hospital is proud to offer advanced imaging techniques.
- Digital ultrasound (abdominal, musculoskeletal, reproductive)
- Digital radiography
- Computed radiography
- Dental radiography
All West is proud to offer many in-house diagnostics, to better provide you and your horse with fast, accurate results to get your horse back on track. We can have results for most of our tests within 20 minutes of running them. We are also one of a limited number of facilities in the state of Montana that can perform Coggins testing (ELISA for Equine Infectious Anemia).
- In-house Idexx chemistry & blood cell analysis
- In-house USDA Equine Infectious Anemia Diagnostic Test Laboratory (Coggins)
- Packed cell volume and total protein
- Fecal floatation for parasite ova
Acupuncture can help horses with both acute problems, such as nerve injury, and chronic problems, such as musculoskeletal pain. Many performance horses benefit from scheduled maintenance acupuncture to help relieve back and neck pain. Acupuncture can even be used to stimulate digestive function in horses with colic.